Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT) for
Child Anxiety Problems
What is Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy (CBT)?
CBT is a psychological treatment for child anxiety problems which has been shown by research to be highly effective in dealing with a range of childhood fears, phobias and anxieties. CBT involves a variety of techniques depending on the nature of the anxiety problems. However some common components of treatment are::
* training in relaxation techniques
* desensitisation techniques designed to teach the child to confront and overcome their fears
* techniques to teach children how to challenge negative thoughts with positive “self talk”
* reinforcement strategies designed to overcome avoidance.
* strategies for the parent to employ too assist the child in anxiety management
* other techniques depending on a person’s specific problems
Rebates of $110 per 50 minute consultation are now available to those with appropriate referrals. See “Fees & Medicare” section.
For child anxiety treatment by a Clinical Psychologist with expertise in CBT in the Sydney area please call:
(02) 9621 7775 or make an appointment online.